I believe I have found the best item for keeping yourself cool while on the road and that is the Evapolar Evachill portable AC! But the question we are going to answer in this post, is this worth investing your money in?
In short, yes! This portable AC is compact, has a low energy consumption and doesn’t require any batteries. It works wonderfully in small areas such as a rooftop tent and van.
The only downfall I have found by using this device, is it doesn’t work too well in humid conditions. It is technically classified as an evaporative cooler, rather than an AC.
The Evapolar EvaCHILL is a small, portable personal cooler, which is excellent for cooling small areas such as tents and vans. The unit is also excellent for a personal cooling system in offices and at home.
The device is energy efficient and budget friendly ($149 AUD). It is very quiet and can be easily run off a USB power bank – great if you don’t have a power system set up!
The negatives – it doesn’t work too well in humid conditions. It does also require cartridges to be replaced, which can be rather pricey if you use it regularly. As this is the smaller model, it is not suitable for cooling larger areas such as big tents. It is more of a personal device.
|Dimensions||170 x 170 x 172 mm (6.69 x 6.69 x 6.77 inch)|
|Noise Level||Up to 50 dB|
How EvaCHILL works
The unit is similar to an evaporative cooler, with some differences. It uses different materials, making it more efficient, safe, and clean. You can watch this video for more information.
Design Features and Specifications
The unit comes in three different colours: opaque white, urban grey and ocean blue.
Design and weight
The unit is compact and lightweight which makes it ideal for camping with small tents or in vans. It weights 750g and can easily be transported via its handle. The equipment has been designed to be water leakage proof – although I do still recommend you use it on a flat surface.
The unit has an 800ml tank which will generally run for 8hrs without a refill. Making it perfect for night-time. It has an operating noise of 50db, which is fairly quiet for a portable cooler. I have used this system at night and haven’t ever had a problem sleeping with it on. I do recommend you cover the light with a bit of tape though, as this can be rather annoying to sleep with.
It has a very low power consumption which is what makes it create for camping and vanlife! You can run it off USB portable charger, which makes it excellent for any kind of set up.
How easy is it to use?
The system is very easy to use and handle. It comes with a central button which controls its operation and changes its airflow. All you need to do is fill it up with water (includes a funnel for easy pouring), plug it into a power source and turn it on. As easy as that!
Overall, the maintenance is very easy and only requires a quick change or clean of the internal cartridges. According to the Evapolar website, you will need to replace the cartridges every 3-6 months to keep the cooling capacity high. This will depend on how much you use it and how dirty the air is passing through the device.
Alternatives to the Evapolar EvaCHILL
There are two other alternatives which you can look into besides the Evapolar EvaCHILL.
- EvaLIGHT plus – similar to the EvaCHILL but requires more power consumption.
- EvaSMART – a smart home compatible unit you can control with a mobile app or voice assistance. It can be powered by a power bank, laptop or power socket. This has a higher power consumption and is a bit heavier but would be a great option for caravans.
- Is this ideal for camping or vans? Yes! It works excellent in small spaces. I would recommend one of the bigger devices for caravans.
- Will this work as well as an AC? It is a personal cooling system, so it won’t work well in large spaces. It is a good alternative to a fan.
- Is it safe to sleep with in a tent? Yes! There are will be no problem having it run throughout the night in a tent.
- Does it work well in all weather conditions? It doesn’t work too well in humid weather, but works fine in dry heat.